[governance] Caution on Twitter urged as tourists barred from US

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Feb 2 12:33:19 EST 2012

In message <p1n0jc6qmmlllgbhc7qnlrqe.1328027658355 at email.android.com>,
at 16:34:18 on Tue, 31 Jan 2012, jonathan <jonathan at jcave.eclipse.co.uk>
writes
>Wouldn't it be odd if the intepretation of a tweet were somehow linked
>to the nationality, ethnicity, religion, wealth, etc. of the tweeter?

I'd argue that the interpretation strongly depends on the profile of the
tweeter. Here's a story from ten years ago with an American President
(who can hardly fail to be surrounded by advisers) using a word that's
highly offensive elsewhere:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/jan/09/usa.matthewengel

Whereas the earlier quoted "I could murder an Indian" is accepted in the
UK as quite complimentary to their cuisine.

Meanwhile, numerous Brits choked on their breakfast earlier this week:

<http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/02/01/14773/comic_fulton_swears_on_b
reakfast_tv>
--
Roland Perry