[governance] Day 1 - CSTD WG on IGF improvement

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Mon Feb 20 04:42:01 EST 2012

Now, the CSTD Working Group on IGF improvement starting.
Unfortunately, Marilia could not travel to Geneva due to lack of funding.
Other than her, we are here - Anriette, Parminder, Wolfgang and myself.

Chair (Meter Major) - report on WGIGF 4th meeting.
Established points of broad agreements on Items A, B and D,
which is Shaping the Outcomes, Working Modalities, and Broadening
Participation, but not C, Funding.

Chair- ask for coherent texts with no ambiguity
in case of dissent – alternative recommendations in addition to
recommendations by majority
interpretations should be straightforward

Expected results of this meeting:
Agreement on format and content
5-6 recommendations per topics
agreement on evaluation and reporting on implementation of
recommendations (CSTD)
Preliminary discussion on Chairman’s report to be submitted to CSTD

Chair's Remark:
we are drafting recommendations not a treaty
 part of CSTD resolution, but not writing the treaty (like ITU)

Working modality
suggested modality:
 seek approval to use draft
 recommendations as working document
- work: either in plenary/sequentially or in small groups and plenary
- recommendations by consensus
- in case of dissent – propose alternative recommendations [footnote]
- circulate final version of Chairman’s report to CSTD among members
of WGIGF for comment and approval after 5th meeting
Basically, we agree on the substance of the report, and comments are
mostly on editorial areas.
I am really optimistic. I think there is mutual trust among members,
with friendly atmosphere, all are determined to create something new.
IGF secretariat will inform on MAG meetings last week for the Nov IGF
in Baku, Azerbaijan
I hope most of recommendations will be incorporated in the next IGF

WGIGF 5th meeting follow-up
 Chairman’s summary of the 5th meeting
 List of agreed recommendations for the improvements of the IGF
 Chair’s report to be submitted to the CSTD on its 16th session from 21

That's Chair's opening remarks.

Now discussion starting - I will not make detailed report, but will try to share
some main points of discussions

Izumi
---
     governance at lists.cpsr.org