[governance] Draft IGC short Statement on remote participation

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:00:54 EST 2012

My comments are inline [sorry just woke up]

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks Imran and Marilia, and also some comments on Skype channel, and
> I also spoke with Seiichi and the guys from Turin.
>
> I tried to incorporate all suggestions, as follows:
> more comments welcome.
>
> izumi
>
> ---
> IGC Statement on Remote Participation
>
> We like to reiterate that remote participation is a crucial part of
> organizing IGF and we appreciate the effort to provide remote
> participation for the Open consultation and MAG meetings which were
> opened to observers.

We have to move beyond advocacy to listing and creating tangible outcomes
to make improved remote participation a necessity.

There are regions around the world where transportation is extremely
expensive and one such region is the Pacific which has 22 countries and
territories.Remote participation was the only way that any of these
countries could access the IGF. However there is room to improve processes
and create an IGF culture where remote participation is prioritised through
setting up parallel screens that enable people to chat and stream in to the
sessions where those who are at the meeting can read these chats or feeds
in text form and also see the various hubs who are participating. There
should be a select task force or Working Group created that has
representatives from the Government, Private Sector and Civil Society that
is dedicated to seeing  improvements of Remote Participation.

These improvements transcend having the appropriate technical solutions and
should also include the following:-

   - Outreach;
   - Mapping local and regional stakeholders;
   - Coordinating with people on the ground 10 months before the IGF in a
   series of strategic roll out;
   - Identifying how the private sector, civil society and governments can
   be better involved in the remote hubs etc

> We like to commend the excellent work of the technical team from
> Politecnico di Torino, or The Polytechnic University of Turin which
> was originally brought by our colleague Vittorio Bertola in the first
> place.
>
> Building on that, we like to point out and suggest the followings to
> further improve our remote participation:
>
> There were some problems with video feeds and there was not a clear
> procedure that would encourage remote participants to intervene. This
> idea should encompass those physically present in Geneva and those
> observing the meeting remotely.
>
> We regret that remote observers were effectively excluded from the MAG
> meeting, because they had no access to live transcript. And we must
> add that even Mag members trying to participate online had difficulty
> in contacting moderators
>
> We urge MAG and IGF secretariat and ourselves, to consider the
> followings for the future IGF organizing work and IGF itself and work
> together:
>
> Provide as much interactivity as possible.
> Ensure equal participation between online and offline participants
>
> Prepare a clear guideline for remote participation and its moderation
>
> Always assign exclusive remote participation coordinator/moderator
> (who do not have other jobs at the same time and is responsible to
> interact between the meeting physical participants+ speaker and the
> Remote Participants).
>
> Provide plural means – video, voice and text channel, as well as
> real-time transcription and video streaming / coverage of the meeting.
>
> Enable the meeting and remote participation through interactive
> presentations access through RP.
>
> Due to limitation of sufficient funds availability for direct
> participation, it is crucially required for a common Remote
> participants as well as for a MAG members.
>
> -----
>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT