[governance] So Who (or What) is Managing Privacy for/by the 1 Billion+

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Dec 28 12:58:21 EST 2012

In message <1F902ECE-FD21-48CA-8452-94F497AB2CE8 at ella.com>, at 08:53:26
on Fri, 28 Dec 2012, Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> writes

>is privacy a good enough reason to get a new name and ID number in most jurisdictions?  in any jurisdictions?

Depends on the contract you have with the service provider. Despite a
very large number of counter-examples[1] which seem to have crept into
their userbase, Facebook say you can only use your real name. And have a
process for allowing minor variations or nicknames.

I'm not sure they allow members of the public who have a privacy issue
to become anonymous, but suspect they have some law enforcement and
social workers who do.

[1] One very familiar to I* insiders, perhaps:
     https://www.facebook.com/people/Bert-Trend-Watcher/643703320
--
Roland Perry