[governance] So Who (or What) is Managing Privacy for/by the 1 Billion+

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Dec 28 08:32:42 EST 2012

In message <A0A499E7-3064-4CE2-B982-A2E6FBA0DE57 at virtualized.org>, at
17:34:47 on Thu, 27 Dec 2012, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> writes
>Facebook's rules may result in intrusions into my privacy (not my right
>to privacy), but if so, the answer would appear to be simple: if I
>don't like their rules or how those rules are changed, I will exercise
>my right to privacy and choose to not use their service.

The problem with that approach is the suspicion that when they make
changes they are retrospective; for example I think they just made it no
longer possible to exclude your name from public search, when formerly
you could at least retain some privacy by not allowing 'everyone' to
find your profile simply from your name.

Security by obscurity, perhaps, but a great deal of what Facebook offers
is "privacy by obscurity".
--
Roland Perry