[governance] So Who (or What) is Managing Privacy for/by the 1 Billion+

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Thu Dec 27 20:34:47 EST 2012

Michael,

On Dec 27, 2012, at 2:41 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
>  a global Internet company like Facebook

I thought Facebook was a US company.  What is a "global Internet company"?

> So, for "Hands off the Internet" advocates do we turn over our rights to privacy on the Internet (or at least the management of the modalities of those rights) to the caprices of private corporations?

Not sure I'm a "Hands off the Internet" advocate but I find this question confusing.  As far as I'm aware, I'm not forced to turn over anything to Facebook, certainly not my right to privacy.  If I voluntarily choose to use Facebook's service(s), I abide by their (presumably legal, at least according to the laws in which the contract for use of service was specified) rules and it is ultimately my responsibility to keep informed of those rules and how they change, capriciously or not. Facebook's rules may result in intrusions into my privacy (not my right to privacy), but if so, the answer would appear to be simple: if I don't like their rules or how those rules are changed, I will exercise my right to privacy and choose to not use their service.

I gather you would like to see increased regulation (whose laws?) on the explicit terms of service contract between myself and Facebook?

Regards,
-drc