AW: [governance] [] US, UK and Canada refuse to sign UN's internet treaty

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Dec 24 07:45:32 EST 2012

In message <E1Tn4l3-00042C-T2 at frodo.hserus.net>, at 15:25:41 on Mon, 24
Dec 2012, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> writes
>Actually the focus in industry (maawg) and intergovernmental (Apectel
>spsg, oecd) has been on criminal spam.. The same with other, more
>closed / vetted groups
>
 >Snowshoe spammers as well as poor best practices at more legitimate
 >email marketers is getting less and less priority compared to criminal
 >spam over the past few years

Glad to hear it, and plenty of precedent for ITU to build upon. No need
to invent new definitions.

However, I cannot agree with their RESOLUTION 130 (Rev. Guadalajara,
2010) characterising spam as "usually with the objective of marketing
commercial products or services", *especially* if the definition of
"commerce" has to be bent to include proceeds of crime.

Apart from the fact that stealing money from my bank account isn't
marketing a commercial product of service, but it also serves to
unhelpfully blur the line between the 'genuine' clueless marketer and
the person trying to sell me a fake Rolex or a share of the deceased
ex-President's secret $20 million hoard.

Today's scam was offering me a fake tax refund, but they spoilt it (not
that it wasn't already painfully obvious) by sending me the email eight
times.
--
Roland Perry