[governance] A false consensus is broken

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 22:54:23 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 8:22 PM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> All of this phony outrage is a bit much…
>

> Being outraged about a zillion dollar corporation not wanting to pay its
> fair share of taxes… that's something to be outraged about…

The outrage is that governmental (and intergovernmental) regulations allow
something like "Double Dutch"), not that corporations use it.

and who are you to decide what their "fair share" is?

> Being outraged at countries in the North turning their backs on agreements
> to extend broadband access to countries in the South… that's something to be
> outraged about…

I've read all of the ITR (several times) and most of the proposals.
there was nothing I
recognised in any of them that would have "extended broadband access
in the South".

> Being outraged at countries not willing to sign agreements re-interating
> already agreed to commitments in the area of Human Rights… that's something
> to be outraged about…

If you followed WCIT you would realise that it was not about Human
rights, but about
nation states as entities claiming a new right.

> But whether the US walked out, tromped out, slid out, or flew out of the
> meeting on gossamer wings (after refusing to sign an agreement accepted by
> 2/3rds of the countries attending) … that seems to me to be a matter of the
> utmost triviality … of interest, dare I say, only to those who don't have
> anything more substantial to argue against…

no, it's only the first untruth in the first graph of the article, one
that I picked
up on immediately, but let slide.  I am much more worked up about
"overlord", which
is a willful misrepresentation designed to inflame, not educate.

--
Cheers,

McTim