[governance] A false consensus is broken

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Dec 21 10:53:15 EST 2012

On Sat, Dec 22, 2012 at 12:13 AM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Or Parminder used/quoted colourful journalistic language in a journalistic medium...

Oh come on.  Parminder influenced by some US journalist.  Are you
saying he's a lazy and hypocrite?

> Anyway, why this pre-occupation with one perhaps infelicitous turn of (journalistic/diplomatic?) phrase ...

Because it's not true, and anyone who has been on this list and/or
read one or two news articles would know it's not true. Or, someone
could go to the transcripts of the meeting and it would be perfectly
clear.   Parminder makes the claim throughout the article, so hardly
an accident.  As we know from his usual bile against anything
"northern", it looks pretty deliberate.

This is an OpEd in a major newspaper.  The Indian government said they
will hold a public consultation about the outcome of WICT and whether
the country should sign etc.  Clearly it's in this context Parminder's
writing.  So yes, the rubbish does need to be pointed out to be
rubbish.

 Is this the US Congress/Fox News where a fairly comprehensible
mispeak can lead to a total "gothcha" pre-occupation (the Benghazi
"discussions") for purely political purposes to the exclusion of
substantive debate...

Then respond to criticism of support for extending state rights (also
misleadingly presented in the OpEd.)

Adam