[governance] NY article expresses surprise at US walkout in Dubai

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 21:07:42 EST 2012

No, the issue isn't "methodology"--the issue is how one defines "democacy"
i.e. what one chooses to identify as the attributes of democracy against
which one decides to attribute a value.  Looking at the list (from the
Wikipedia site) I have no doubt that I would overall have a preference for
the attributes that the EIU chose, but chose they did; and, at least based
on the article they made those choices based on their (unattributed)
values/prejudices etc. It wasn't that long ago that the German Democratic
Republic was around and presumably presenting a quite different set of
definitional attributes for their notion of "democracy" -- and given
resources and interest one would expect that they could/would have developed
their own index based on those attributes with the result being I would
guess, rather different than that determined by the EIU. Less in keeping
with our understanding and desires re: democracy but presumably consistent
with theirs.

In a peer reviewed index of "good governance" that I developed with
colleagues we used as our normative anchor i.e. the basis for our
identification of the attributes we used to construct our index a definition
of "good governance" developed by the UN Development Program which at least
had the advantage of being developed by a (presumably neutral, independent
and global) third party.

http://ci-journal.net/index.php/ciej/article/view/448/410

http://www.inderscience.com/info/inarticle.php?artid=24963