[governance] Reply to Milton's blog post

joy joy at apc.org
Wed Dec 19 18:58:18 EST 2012

Hi Parminder, again, not to labour the point, but by way of
clarification. Your comment was:

Simply, under the UN human rights framework "the collective entity of
a country" is not recognised as a holder of human rights. Assertion of
other "rights" by a State (such as the sovereign "rights" of States to
defend it's own borders or private trade or treaty rights negotiated
between States) are quite different matters as they are not "human
rights". Since the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the UN
Charter, these are in any event subject to human rights. I'm just
concerned to be sure that these different categories are not lumped
together as if they are all the same.
In any event, Frank La Rue's conclusion was that under the
international human rights framework there is no postive "right" to
access the internet, but rather obligations on States to provide such
access.

Joy

On 19/12/2012 7:31 p.m., parminder wrote:

> Hi Joy
>
> Thanks for your response....
>
> It is not claimed that statescountries have human rights, or
> otherwise have rights " on an equal footing with the people or
> peoples they govern".
>
> However, rights of states are frequently mentioned in
> international treaties etc. See for instance one here
> <http://www.cfr.org/sovereignty/montevideo-convention-rights-duties-states/p15897>

signed by the US. Another document here
> <http://www.cfr.org/sovereignty/montevideo-convention-rights-duties-states/p15897>

speaks of rights of states regarding underwater cables and pipelines, an