[governance] NY article expresses surprise at US walkout in Dubai

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue Dec 18 15:09:58 EST 2012

Michael,

maybe you are right that a careful investigation would find that the
correlation comes from the "democracy index" having been measured by
means of checking for the presence of values and institutions which are
e.g. more directly related to willingness to follow US leadership than
to democracy itself. That in itself would be a significant insight, as
it would point to a need for developing a better set of indicators for
the quality of democratic structures.

Another potential result could be that certain kinds of socioeconomic
conditions make it hard to implement good governance systems of any
kind (which would inevitably lead to low scores on the "democracy
index") and that in such kinds of situations, "follow the kind of
leadership that is currently offered by the US" is not likely to be a
promising strategy for economic improvement.

In any case, I think that democracy is so extremely important that all
kinds of related topics deserve a careful treatment. And I agree with
the need to look "upstream from the kind of information that we have
been presented with in these charts".

Greetings,
Norbert