[governance] Clues for WCIT issues and prospects

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 12:11:42 EST 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM, Dominique Lacroix <dl at panamo.eu> wrote:
> Le 18/12/12 17:28, David Conrad a écrit :
>
> The most the US government could do would be to direct its contractors to
> remove the ccTLD's records from the root zone.
>
> Yes, that's what I meant, and so the author in the article we're commenting.
>
> And the operating contractor IS Verisign. Return to the starting point.
>
> So you confirm that, even being a bad move provoking a crisis, it could be
> possible.
> That's exactly why it's an asymetric situation unesasy to be accepted by a
> lot of countries in the world.

I think we are mostly on the same page.

Where we diverge is that you think that nation states should have some
say in this process, whereas I do not.

> Could we imagine another process? not necessarily with a plenary UN assembly

I think it is problematic that one nation state has a say, (and I
think you agree).
Your solution adds more nation states, while my ideal solution would
remove all. of them.

--
Cheers,

McTim