[governance] Clues for WCIT issues and prospects

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 09:53:13 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Dominique Lacroix <dl at panamo.eu> wrote:

> McTim, yes, all these are very good intentions.

good results I would say.

> But what about high level prices of connectivity?

As I said yesterday, prices in many parts of Africa are coming down.

25 Megabytes of data from Safaricom in kenya is now 20 bob (20.00
KES	=	0.232883 USD) http://safaricom.com/web/

compare that to Verizon (USA) pricing for a similar product, which is
1:99 USD per megabyte!

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/splash/Megabyte.jsp

This isn't the whole story however, but as I said yesterday, my DSL
service in USA is comparable in price to my Kenyan Wireless ISP
service from earlier this year.

 And the high level price
> of new TLDs?

What is the problem here?  That the cost of application was too high
for Africans?  One African new gTLD applicant told me last year that
"The money is not an issue, we can go to any (African) bank for that".

> How the Western countries could hope that Southern countries would follow
> them in Dubaï?

Member States regulators and Ministers of ICT are perfectly capable of
following (and participating) in WCIT.

> The meeting offers the great output to show the actual state of hearts.
>
> Now I think we should adress the very state of divide. And in the frame of
> environment foresight...

Are you arguing that the ITU is the forum in which to address existing
digital divides?

--
Cheers,

McTim