[governance] [] US, UK and Canada refuse to sign UN's internet treaty

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Dec 17 03:30:07 EST 2012

In message <E1TkVKA-0004NK-OT at frodo.hserus.net>, at 13:11:19 on Mon, 17
Dec 2012, Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> writes
>Most such vendors use boobytrapped copies of popularly pirated content
>and use scripts to track p2p client activity. Anybody's guess just how
>accurate those scripts are

Of all the possible failure modes, acquiring IP addresses that are not
engaged in P2P activity would seem to be one of the least likely.

>And on your other email is there a registry or licensing department of
>security professionals anywhere? Not that I know of, but live and
>learn..

There are several associations for IT security professionals in various
countries, and while it hasn't yet been extended to IT security (there's
much opposition to the concept from the potential registrants) other
forms of security professional are registered in the UK.

http://www.nsi.org.uk/our-services/our-schemes/  (voluntary)

and:

http://www.sia.homeoffice.gov.uk/Pages/home.aspx  (compulsory)
--