[governance] [] US, UK and Canada refuse to sign UN's internet treaty

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Sun Dec 16 10:46:32 EST 2012

There are of course amusing stories about an IP address that's assigned to, say, a scanner being claimed as a downloader of the hobbit movie or whatever.  And not so amusing stories about ISPs that receive dmca demands asking them to reveal a user's identity, in bulk lots of a few thousand a time, with the barest accompanying detail.  And courts cracking down on vendors of these bulk dmca takedown notice technology.

Yes there is a vast majority of people who download and upload random copyrighted contents on the "everybody does it" and "the chances of my being caught are slim" principles .. Only to find out just how heavily automated the entire process is.

ISPs who, believe it or not, do have a privacy policy that they balance their terms of use policy against, and are just as averse to litigation and bad press from a botched dmca takedown as they are to facing the consequences of disregarding a valid takedown request, tend to be caught in a cleft stick, and best practices for handling such requests is a fairly evolving area.

--srs (iPad)