[governance] WCIT melt down

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Sat Dec 15 13:25:54 EST 2012

On 15/12/2012, at 12:33 PM, John Curran <jcurran at istaff.org> wrote:

> One of the most important things the CS can provide is a clear, consistent
> vision of what participatory multistakeholder Internet governance should look
> like, including a well-defined role for governments which is consistent with
> their public policy role and obligations.

So with the formation of a CSTD Working Group on Enhanced Cooperation now (thanks to WCIT?) formally confirmed (blog at http://jere.my/l/46), this will be a natural and appropriate venue for us to channel our proposals for a positive agenda on the evolution of global Internet governance arrangements, such as many of us (most recently John, Parminder and Norbert) have been talking about, and that several of the civil society WCIT declarations foreshadow.

Maybe development of such a proposal is something on which the IGC and Best Bits (since they overlap but aren't the same) could collaborate upon. There is the proposal for a workshop at the WSIS+10 event that precedes the IGF open consultations in February (which I won't be able to make), and work done online could feed into that. If enough progress is made, we will be ready when the Working Group calls for inputs in due course. Also important will be the civil society representatives for the group, and funding to support them.

I feel that the IGC's strong suit is discussion, but lately has not been so strong in drafting proposals, which requires more active facilitation and leadership, probably culminating in another face to face Best Bits meeting.  We did not respond in a very useful or methodical way to the proposals that have been on the table to date such as the ECTF, the CIRP, etc.  There was a lot of thought put into the four WGIG Internet governance proposals, but that also involved meetings in person.  I hope to be proved wrong.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Senior Policy Officer

Your rights, our mission – download CI's Strategy 2015: http://consint.info/RightsMission

@Consumers_Int | www.consumersinternational.org | www.facebook.com/consumersinternational

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.