[governance] WCIT melt down

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Dec 15 10:56:49 EST 2012

On Saturday 15 December 2012 08:03 PM, John Curran wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2012, at 9:08 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net
> <mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>> wrote:
>
>> It seems that 2013 is going to an important year for global IG....
>> The battle lines are more clearly drawn. I hope civil society
>> contributes in a positive way, in what can in a way be constructed as
>> a 'significant opportunity' having opened up for appropriate agenda
>> framing and insitutional development that is in the best global
>> public interest.
>
> One of the most important things the CS can provide is a
> clear, consistent
> vision of what participatory multistakeholder Internet governance
> should look
> like, including a well-defined role for governments which is
> consistent with
> their public policy role and obligations.

Can the IGC begin working on such vision and model? I propose we do.

> I imagine this vision is not primarily based on a "1 government, 1
> vote" model,

A good start. Then, what alternative do you suggest. And, in this
regard, lets not forget the difference between technical standards
making (IETF) and technical coordination ( ICANN) kind of tasks on one
hand, and substantive public policy making on the other.

> but similarly it probably cannot be "all governments sit at the same
> table as
> everyone else in all circumstances, and by the way, one government has a
> unique role due to historical circumstances."

Agree...

parminder