[governance] Internet humbles UN telecoms agency

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Dec 13 19:19:53 EST 2012

Many of you here on the list know orders or magnitude more than I do
about this topic and what happened in the behind-the-scenes
negotiations. But as someone who's not an insider, it seems like this
was a real missed opportunity (for some of the reasons that John listed).

If the ITU had kept references to the Internet out of the treaty (and
meant it), they wouldn't have felt the need to add the human rights
language that vexed China/Algeria/Malaysia/etc., and they would be
declaring victory right now instead of wondering what just hit them. Is
what happened here that the ITU et al badly misjudged the situation and
tried to call a bluff -- which actually wasn't one?

-Declan