[governance] WCIT melt down

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Thu Dec 13 15:13:22 EST 2012

Looks like CNET has an article up:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57559034-38/u.n-summit-implodes-as-u.s-others-spurn-internet-treaty/
...alliance of Western democracies including the United States, the
United Kingdom, and Canada today rejected a proposed treaty over
concerns it hands repressive governments too much authority over the
Internet.
"This conference was never meant to focus on Internet issues," said
ambassador Terry Kramer, head of the U.S. delegation to the Dubai
summit. "The Internet has given the world unimaginable economic and
social benefit during these past 24 years -- all without U.N. regulation."
Delegates from the Netherlands, New Zealand, Denmark, Sweden, Poland,
and the Czech Republic also said they could not sign the proposed
International Telecommunication Union treaty, which is scheduled to be
finished by tomorrow. Kenya's delegate appeared to take the same
position, saying "we reserve our rights" to "go back home and do more
consultations" before signing...

-Declan