[governance] Re: Telecom TV on Google and Taxes

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu Dec 13 03:55:44 EST 2012

On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>wrote:

> On Thursday 13 December 2012 02:05 PM, Adam Peake wrote:
>
> -1
>
>  write to politicians.
>

> You mean we should write to governments? Good idea. Which venue you think
> is best to address in this regard? Remember, there is a strong, perhaps,
> central, element of inter-country issues here.

Well not really as taxes are national.  So I would recommend we draft a
letter and send to respective ICT ministries, treasury and appropriate MPs
(or equivalent.)  And to the countries such as Ireland, Luxembourg, etc
favored by companies like Google, Amazon eyc.

>   to google would be just posturing.
>

> You means that they would not pay heed to civil society's voice/ statement
> on this, and not bother to respond? If nothing else, that will be
> interesting to note, given the numerous close compacts with civil society
> that google has worked up in these last few months on many global IG issues.

No.

(disclosure, GLOCOM hosts a Google Policy Fellow)

Adam

> parminder
>

>  Adam
>

> On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 1:40 PM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <
> salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>  On Thu, Dec 13, 2012 at 5:33 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>wrote:
>>

>>> Rather shameful that google paid 3 percent tax on its overseas profit!!
>>> It surely leaves it with a lot of money to spend in lobbying and advocacy
>>> efforts to keep global markets free for its unlettered operations... Like
>>> organising campaigns against ITU, German legislature, and so on.
>>>
>>> Would IGC write an open letter to Google that its tax evasion policy is
>>> anti people, and it should pays its taxes where it makes its profit. (Or is
>>> it that the IG civil society does not go into such re-distributional
>>> questions )   It is not rhetorical but a real question to the list, and its
>>> coordinator.
>>>

>>  What does the list think?
>> +1 if you think the IGC should write a letter to Google
>> -1 if the IGC should not write a letter to Google
>>
>>  As always the IGC decides
>>

>>>  parminder
>>>

>>>   On Wednesday 12 December 2012 09:37 PM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> More on Bloomberg:
>>> http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-12-10/google-revenues-sheltered-in-no-tax-bermuda-soar-to-10-billion.html

>>>  --