[governance] Blogpost: (Whose) Hand off (What) Internet? Some Reflections on WCIT 2012

Suresh Ramasubramanian suresh at hserus.net
Thu Dec 13 01:33:54 EST 2012

--srs (iPad)

On 13-Dec-2012, at 11:49, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

>> These days some of that set are providing delegates at WCIT with constant feedback,
> BTW, It seems your sweating group seems to have a lot of money for global travel unlike other (real) sweat-ers.

Parminder, you and most other people on this list have far more travel budget than I do for conferences. My budget is zero as of the past three years.

>> Guess they may be forgiven
>
> No, they cant be forgiven for not taking up issues of global economic and social justice on board. That is what we are here for. Not to forgive them, and to remind them constantly.

Who's "we" and when did I elect you to speak for me, by the way?

> Well, This one I dont understand at all. You mean developing countries cannot tax bec they are not represented in Google, or what? Or perhaps with 'representation' you mean something else now a days - that we havent done the necessary work/ sweat?? I completely miss it. Sorry. But you can explain.

In other words, this is the distinction between "stakeholder" and "steakholder" - the sort that does no particular work and has no particular expertise in an area, but demands a stake in it "just because"

Let us just say I don't defend corporations that evade / avoid tax.  It is up to them to fight it out in various courts and tribunals around the world, and there are plenty of income tax regulators out there who are ready and willing to send them huge claims for unpaid tax they should have been paying.  And sometimes the regulators do win.

But that goes on across every single organization that has a multinational presence - and can hardly be raked up here, where matters are being discussed on an entirely different plane.