[governance] Blogpost: (Whose) Hand off (What) Internet? Some Reflections on WCIT 2012

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Dec 13 01:19:48 EST 2012

On Thursday 13 December 2012 11:25 AM, Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch wrote:
> David,
>
> I owed you a reply here.
>
> Some subset of what Mike Gurstein in facile way characterizes as HOI not only has a vision of how to build Intenet Governance - they are voting with their sweat.

Alex, perhaps you may not want to use the 'sweat' analogy; you may be
very surprised by what those who really 'sweat' may vote for !

> They are building the mechanisms, agreements, communications, understandings, actions and discourse.
>
> These days some of that set are providing delegates at WCIT with constant feedback,
BTW, It seems your sweating group seems to have a lot of money for
global travel unlike other (real) sweat-ers.

> technical knowledge, policy arguments, and personal networks in order to avert some of the worst-case results of that conference. Some in Dubai, some away, but that materialization of a vision of Internet Governance is actually consuming some kiloJoules and having some demonstrable, traceable effect.
>
> Guess they may be forgiven

No, they cant be forgiven for not taking up issues of global economic
and social justice on board. That is what we are here for. Not to
forgive them, and to remind them constantly.
> for not trying to become the world's tax-collector-spanking authority. We leave that to the real experts on this list, impressed by the fiscal knowledge and the rapid setup of an army.

Alas! Can hardly match the army that google and cohorts set up around
WCIT... and also at other global IG spaces. After all money (and not
sweat) counts!
> Please be the first in line to tap the flow of funds into the coffers. Oh, and lay aside the "no taxation without representation" line while you bleed Google white.

Well, This one I dont understand at all. You mean developing countries
cannot tax bec they are not represented in Google, or what? Or perhaps
with 'representation' you mean something else now a days - that we
havent done the necessary work/ sweat?? I completely miss it. Sorry. But
you can explain.

parminder