[governance] Russia/UAE text is officially introduced

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Dec 11 12:06:46 EST 2012

WCIT Opening plenary, Hamadoun Touré:
"In preparing for this conference, we have seen and heard many
comments about ITU or the United Nations trying to take over the
Internet.  Let me be very clear one more time:  WCIT is not about
taking over the Internet.  And WCIT is not about Internet governance.
WCIT is about making sure that we connect the billion people without
access to mobile telephony, and that we connect the 4.5 billion people
who are still off line."

Got it.

WCIT is Dr. Touré's legacy.  If it fails he won't have too much to
look back on after 8 years. A lot of compromise would be a good idea.

Adam