[governance] No Internet Cafe is allowed to operate within an area closer than 500 meters from any school

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch apisan at unam.mx
Fri Dec 7 13:13:19 EST 2012

Hi,

in Mexico (and I guess many other countries) there is a ruling that no bar (serving alcohol beverages) can be within a certain distance of a school.

The rulings in Cambodia and Azerbaijan tell you that Internet cafés are seen as one more source of evil. I guess evidence of what activities take place in them, by age segments and times of day, and risk-cost-benefit analysis are not exactly objective and not available. Not exactly evidence-based policy-making I fear.

I do remember being struck by the level of activity and enthusiasm in cybercafes in Ghana ten years ago... then connecting the dots to the kids asking you for email addresses in tourist spots and the number "419" forming iteself in my mind's eye.

But, talk about throwing away the baby with the bath water.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

! !! !!! !!!!
NEW PHONE NUMBER - NUEVO NÚMERO DE TELÉFONO

+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD

+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO

SMS +525541444475
     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
UNAM, Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, http://www.isoc.org