[governance] Re: Internet Society's Statement Addressing Reported Attacks Against the ITU Website

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Fri Dec 7 11:00:40 EST 2012

On Dec 7, 2012, at 10:14 AM, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> wrote:
>> (Regarding Sally Wentworth's "Please take note of the below statement from ISOC with regards to reported attacks against the ITU Website during the WCIT.")
>
> It is extremely difficult to stop a lynch mob.

It is important keep in mind that the number of machines in a DDoS attack does not
equal the number of actual actors; i.e. 100 thousand people protesting by gathering
in a city square is a definitely a demonstration of civil empowerment, whereas 100
thousand machines performing a denial of service attack against a web site could
 be just three upset people with the right set of tools at their disposal.

As some of the statements explaining the need for such attacks would imply that
it is being done to protect the existing system (including ICANN, ISOC, & RIRs)
<http://legionnet.inc.nl.eu.org/2012/12/stop-madness-anonymous-counterproposal.html>,
it is perfectly reasonable for ISOC to issue a statement indicating that closing down
communications as a protest is both counterproductive and contrary to the very
idea of open MS participation for all.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimers: My views alone.  Websites which contain these views are not responsible
for their content and should not be attacked solely on that basis.  Coming up with other
pretenses for vigilate action against such websites is left as an exercise for the reader.