[governance] US Ambassador Terry Kramer on WCIT

David Allen David_Allen_AB63 at post.harvard.edu
Thu Dec 6 22:27:36 EST 2012

This would almost be amusing - if so much were not at stake.

Those who remember the long history of policy debate, leading up
finally to divestiture of AT&T, know that there were a series of so-
called Computer Inquiries, official inquiries (in the US of course).
They revolved around trying to divine a dividing line, between
telecommunications and computing.  This proved to be a Gordian knot,
which could not be untied.  But the argument went forward, seemingly
endlessly, for many years actually, with much foolish policy mooted,
in an effort to separate the two, computers and networks.

As one of the sages of the era told me (when interviewed for an
intellectual history), the mess will be straightened out only when we
correct the mistake, that is, our attempt to separate the two.

George Santayana can be heard once again from the grave, it seems,
with his:  "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat
it."  If each generation has to learn all over again, instead of
building from the hard-won lessons already travelled ...

Notably - even a bit ironically - there, in those Computer Inquiries,
as here in the Dubai struggle, the core issue was / is (if by
different names):  What we then called the common carrier obligation -
the telecoms carrier was not allowed to interfere with or change in
any way the messages being carried.  What today we tussle over with
the rubric network neutrality.  And what might be generalized to:
freedom of expression.

David