[governance] Hmmmm... Google: "Internet Freedom!"... (from taxes?

Dominique Lacroix dl at panamo.eu
Wed Dec 5 15:25:42 EST 2012

Le 05/12/12 20:26, Milton L Mueller a écrit :

> "Frankly", development of the TCP/IP protocols were supported by
> military research contracts, which had no intention of supporting a
> commercial industry. "The Internet" spread to the general population
> and succeeded because of telecommunications liberalization and a free
> market.

Dear Milton, you seem a little dizzy. You skipped merrily the NSF action
in the 1981-1995 years...
And then, also, the CIA action, via the In-Q-Tel venture capital firm,
launched in 1999.
And also the military orders in the advanced IT field.
Perhaps I forget something. I'm also a bit dizzy...

> The government played an important role in facilitating that process
> by privatizing control and paving the way for competition among ISPs.
> There is no doubt about that.

Exact. And not enough: Google should be prosecuted for dominance abuse.

> While we are being frank, perhaps you can tell me how successful
> European efforts to subsidize search engine technology to compete with
> Google has been?

I assume you already heard about the networks effect that gives an
advantage to the first big player.
That's exactly why China and other countries protect their boundaries in
order to help their IT industry to find existence.

Do you think that Europe also ought to close their virtual boundaries?

@+, Dom