[governance] Hmmmm... Google: "Internet Freedom!"... (from taxes?

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Wed Dec 5 14:26:29 EST 2012

"Frankly", development of the TCP/IP protocols were supported by military research contracts, which had no intention of supporting a commercial industry. "The Internet" spread to the general population and succeeded because of telecommunications liberalization and a free market. The government played an important role in facilitating that process by privatizing control and paving the way for competition among ISPs. There is no doubt about that.

While we are being frank, perhaps you can tell me how successful European efforts to subsidize search engine technology to compete with Google has been?

Please frankly, Milton, did internet begin in the US by free market or by the US Gov action?

@+, Dom