[governance] Multi-stakeholder model, evolution and revolution

Diego Rafael Canabarro diegocanabarro at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 23:51:23 EST 2012

Bene,
I understand your concern. My fellowship supervisor here at the National
Center for Digital Government works with the notion of "digitally mediated
institutional development." (reference attached bellow). She is a
long-standing researcher who surveys the role of organizational and
institutional variables in the enactment of technology for digital
governance. As she likes to point out, "after twenty years of digital
governance", there is a lot of evidence of path-dependency following
decisions, long-term trends in agency action, as well as institutional
stability. Whenever you have legacy, agency favoring the status quo and
institutional constraints for reforms/revolutions, it seems that
disjunctions might only be the exception. I'm working to connect the dots
between those theoretical notions and the field of Internet governance in
my dissertation.

Regards
Diego

*Abstract: *
Current attention to social media and governance has focused on the
enactment of networked communication and information use by and for
governance with particular attention to the role of civil society. This
paper argues that such a focus, while illuminating a possibly utopian
perspective on political participation, often obscures even recent
government reforms, existing institutional arrangements, and the myriad
processes by which knowledge is translated to action in political settings.
Drawing from and extending core perspectives within historical
institutionalism, the paper examines three streams of theory and research:
temporal models, coordination models, and the political effects of public
policies where policies themselves may be conceptualized as institutions.
Illustrations are drawn from American and European politics and used to
ground as well as to probe models. The objective of the paper is a
conceptualization that rebalances attention between agency and structure
and that simultaneously considers the political past as well as the future.

*Number of Pages in PDF File:* 50

*Keywords:* institutions, institutional change, networked governance,
e-government, public management, public administration

--
Diego R. Canabarro
http://lattes.cnpq.br/4980585945314597

--