AW: [governance] Business Class for Human Rights?

Peter H. Hellmonds peter.hellmonds at hellmonds.eu
Thu Aug 30 19:02:01 EDT 2012

Wolfgang,

Operators already have and use the capabilities of DPI to distinguish
between different services. So, yes, this presumably would be used even more
with different service classes. As long as this is done content-agnostic,
and packets simply analysed to prioritize certain traffic over other,
without any storage or further analysis, then human rights should not be
affected. But you never know how this would be handled in countries with a
less than stellar human rights record overall. My opinion is that as long as
there is sufficient competition amongst operators, so that the end user can
pick and chose, then the average user will continue to select a service plan
with an operator who will offer the current “best effort” Internet service,
whereas some – let’s say, an automobile manufacturer who wants to do online
design in real time between different locations – would chose a business or
platinum service to assure not just best effort, but 99.9999999%
availability and speed etc.

Commercial agreements in a free and fair marketplace should be no problem,
as long as there is sufficient competition and user choice. However, we
should still analyse the long-term systemic effects that such introduction
of user or service classes would have.

Bill,

The suggested wording of the EU proposal sounds good so far, especially the
text of the annex proposing the EU positions, and in particular these two
articles:

(c) Support proposals that seek to ensure that the revised ITRs remain high
level, strategic and

technology neutral and oppose proposals to make ITU recommendations binding
on ITU

member states and operating agencies;

(d) Support any proposals to maintain the current scope of the ITRs and the
current mandate

of the ITU, oppose any proposals to extend the scope to areas such as the
routing of Internetbased

traffic, content-related issues;

(c) is particularly important, as there are proposals in the draft to make
ITU recommendations binding. Having the EU (and hopefully CEPT) oppose such
wording should be helpful. Also helpful should be support to keep ITRs on a
high level, not on the details of regulation.

(d) is in line with general consensus that ITU should not expand on its
mandate to include the Internet, and should stick to its mandate of
telecommunications.

Closer reading and comparison of the EU treaty (and subsequent common
legislation stemming therefrom) with the proposed ITR changes should shed
further light on this, but I have no yet begun doing such an analysis and
would hope that some Brussels-based business reps could do such analysis.

Best,

Peter