[governance] Global governance structure outdated, says India

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Thu Aug 30 05:50:34 EDT 2012

Hi Guru

On Aug 30, 2012, at 4:48 AM, Guru गुरु wrote:

> On Wednesday 29 August 2012 06:52 PM, Milton L Mueller wrote:
>> Guru
>> "Non-aligned" meant "not aligned with the US/capitalist world nor the Soviet/communist world.
>> Can you tell me what these countries are "not aligned" with today?
>>
>> --MM
> in my mail:
>
> and in our 'unipolar' world,

We must live on different planets.  Mine's not even multipolar, it's heteropolar.  Power is varyingly dispersed in different policy spaces across a growing range of actors, state and non-state.

> groups like NAM, G77,
> IBSA have a role in resisting western (gov + corporate) hegemony... in
> the efforts to establish a more just world…

Given that NAM's members include all Reporters Without Borders' Enemies of the Internet and almost all of its Countries Under Surveillance http://en.rsf.org/beset-by-online-surveillance-and-12-03-2012,42061.html (including India) it will certainly be an interesting development if it begins to play a leading role in efforts to establish a more just world with respect to the issues that are nominally the focus of this list.  Issuing a declaration incanting the Peoples Daily of China editorial would not be evidence of movement in that direction.

Cheers

Bill