[governance] -- IDN Variant TLD Program Update

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Aug 24 09:10:59 EDT 2012

At 08:01 24/08/2012, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:
>Interested members of the community can receive updates and
>participate in the discussion of the variant work by subscribing to
>the <mailto:vip at icann.org>vip at icann.org mailing list
>or by visiting the Community Wiki at:
><https://community.icann.org/display/VIP/>https://community.icann.org/display/VIP/

I can only confirm the political interest to be active on this
inactive list (not a single mail since July 1st), to show ICANN that
the Civil Society is not only formed of ASCII natives.

We have worked enough on IDNA2008 to make IDNs supported correctly by
the Internet - the final result is undoubtedly the result of the
consensus with IUCG (iucg at ietf.org, http://iucg.org/wiki the internet
users contributing group at the IETF). However, the result was
obtained only on the Internet side and advised on the users' side.
Now we need to work-it out seriously on our side. For example, the
French language orthotypography, which was used as a typical example
of a technical problem, is not supported.

For the time being IDNS is supported:

0. By a wrong conception of the user's side architecture (i.e.
IDN-in-Applications) permitting the same IDN to resolve different IPs
depending on the application on the same PC.
1. temporarily by the browsers designers, WhatWG and W3C.
2. on going work at the IETF (we should have observers at different
WG such as IMA (mail addresses), PRECIS (integration in protocols)
3. limited defensive work at ICANN on Variants as the strings that
speakers of a language consider as equivalent, defensive meaning "to
avoid confusion"
4. still no agreement has been discussed with the WIPO on the
"babel-names" (name of which the punycode after xn-- is a protected
word which will print in ASCII).
5. There is still no algorithmic solution to protect registration
against homographic (phishing) registrations.
6. There is still not a proper global DNS syntax (IUTF is working on
a IETF Draft to document the Integrated Use Digital Name Space).

At the beginning of the WG/IDNAbis which revised IDNA2003 into
IDNA2008 I asked Vint Cerf (the WG chair) what was the purpose of
IDNA2008 he targeted, to address the users' needs or the network's
need. After they responded the later, I committed to document the
ML-DNS atop IDNA2008 on the user's side to support the users' needs.
Much to our surprise we found we could eventually reach the IDNA2008
consensus because the Internet architecture is much more open than
expected and does not prevent the respect of every language (this is
introduced in RFC 5895).

However, a full support of the linguistic and orthotypographical
diversity calls for much more work and a full support of the
presentation layer that IDNA2008 only partly implements. This work
has been identified as outside of the IETF scope by the IESG and IAB
(clarification through an appeal procedure). The work engaged by the
IUCG has therefore been transferred to the IUTF
(http://iutf.org/wiki) and as a part of the Intelligent Use Interface
(IUI) architectural framework and of the Internet+ as the IUI
network. This has the advantage to work on a single digital name
syntax for the whole digital ecosystem (WDE), including the Internet,
that can be immediately used in a transparent manner to the
ICANN/NTIA namespace and possibly the InterWiki namespace within the
Wiki3-0 project.

Further to the problem of defining the IUTF, discussing the basis for
the Internet+, the Open Wiki future and now the openuse issue, all
this should start being discussed and tested this winter IF there is
support enough ....