[governance] People's Daily of China: US must hand over Internet control to the world

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Aug 22 11:57:27 EDT 2012

On 22/08/2012 13:20, Norbert Bollow wrote:

> FWIW, it looks to me like IANA originally delegated the .IQ ccTLD with
> full knowledge of the fact that the administrative contact wasn't
> endorsed by any national institution of Iraq, wasn't in-country, and
> had no intentions of moving there.
>
> I'm not writing this "in criticism of IANA": It would not be reasonable
> to criticize today's IANA (the IANA function of ICANN) for what Jon
> Postel (in his responsibility for the IANA of back then) decided,
> and in any case I'm willing to go pretty far in giving just about
> any decision of Jon Postel the benefit of the doubt, as there are
> strong reasons to believe that he acted with good intentions and that
> he was not a fool. Also the principle of ccTLDs being matters of
> national sovereignity is much more strongly established today than it
> was before the adoption of the Tunis Agenda as an international softlaw
> instrument.
>
> My point is just that in view of the above-mentioned probable
> circumstances of the original ccTLD delegation, I don't think that it
> is reasonable either to criticize Mr Elashi for not living in Iraq
> despite operating the .IQ ccTLD.

...and of course a lot of this is historical. While many countries today
see their ccTLD as a resource of National Interest, this was not always
the case.
In fact, that was true of any Internet-related activity, including
bringing the Internet to a country.

In the early/mid nineties, the international Internet in many countries
was built mainly by private enterprise and NGOs.
Not Telcos.
Not Governments.

You'd ask the national TelCo about Internet and they'd reply that this
was of no interest to them.
You'd let a government's telecom ministry know that they should apply
for a ccTLD based on the ISO_3166 list and they'd laugh at your face.

Many ccTLDs ended up being created by default, assigned to individuals
and private enterprise.
When .BV was assigned, the long running quadruped joke of "On the
Internet, nobody knows you're a dog" turned to a biped penguin.

Kind regards,

Olivier