[governance] People's Daily of China: US must hand over Internet control to the world

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Aug 22 07:20:06 EDT 2012

David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> On Aug 21, 2012, at 4:57 PM, Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch
> <apisan at unam.mx> wrote:
> > Elashi was not reeeeeeally abiding by RFC 1591 either, was he?
>
> No, he wasn't. In theory, the administrative contact for ccTLDs (at
> least) is supposed to be in-country. However, as mentioned, ccTLDs
> are considered issues of national sovereignty so in general, IANA
> staff can merely ask nicely when somebody who is already the ccTLD
> admin breaks the rules.

FWIW, it looks to me like IANA originally delegated the .IQ ccTLD with
full knowledge of the fact that the administrative contact wasn't
endorsed by any national institution of Iraq, wasn't in-country, and
had no intentions of moving there.

I'm not writing this "in criticism of IANA": It would not be reasonable
to criticize today's IANA (the IANA function of ICANN) for what Jon
Postel (in his responsibility for the IANA of back then) decided,
and in any case I'm willing to go pretty far in giving just about
any decision of Jon Postel the benefit of the doubt, as there are
strong reasons to believe that he acted with good intentions and that
he was not a fool. Also the principle of ccTLDs being matters of
national sovereignity is much more strongly established today than it
was before the adoption of the Tunis Agenda as an international softlaw
instrument.

My point is just that in view of the above-mentioned probable
circumstances of the original ccTLD delegation, I don't think that it
is reasonable either to criticize Mr Elashi for not living in Iraq
despite operating the .IQ ccTLD.

Greetings,
Norbert