[governance] Julian Assange extradition: Ecuador 'willing to co-operate' with Britain

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 10:58:51 EDT 2012

Thanks this is interesting, but misses my point that I made in response
to Adam's post. So I take the New Statesman and the Guardian's legal
eagle (J Rozenberg, 10 Apr 2012) with a pinch of salt at best. I simply
cannot fathom the conflation of the rape allegations with whistleblower
protection and risk of torture (even those who are guilty can claim
asylum). But we can agree to disagree. I however do prefer classical
liberal views.

None of these New Statesman's claims is important as far as a claim for
asylum based on a well founded fear of persecution. Solitary confinement
(as practised by the US in Super Max prisons and in particular for those
who "challenge" the security establishment), and other cruel, inhumane
of degrading treatment (like no clothes for Manning etc, see further
James Ball (UK Guardian 29 Nov 2011)) are sufficient to sustain a claim
for asylum. The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in one the MOST
dastardly of decisions (in process and substance, with undermining of
even the 'separation of powers' doctrine - independence of the judiciary
- undermined as intimated publicly by a senior legal British official)
ruled favourably in extradition involving muslims Babar Ahmad, Syed
Talha Ahsan and Adel Bary et al (I do not condone nor support any of the
actions of these individuals, but this is a matter of precedent and
sanctity of the law). Not even the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture was
able to lead evidence on the treatment to be expected if extradition was
granted. The court also relied upon the long democratic tradition of the
US (hearing only flowery governmental representations) implying US
Exceptionalism. What this means is the almost ANY European can be
extradited to the US now without regard for the treatment he may
receive. And what is clear is whether state action is valid in these
circumstances, as against a grundnorm. The soldiers and mercenaries
implicated (by Wikileaks) in the most heinous crimes as revealed by
Wikileaks tend to get away with the 'few bad apples' justification with
token judgements against them in the rare instances where action was
taken. Sweden and Britain are implicated in extraordinary renditions,
that Human Rights Watch rep said was ok. So, for me, some perspective is
in order.

Perhaps the dialogue in “A Man for Seasons” (by Robert Bolt) on the
'spurious' conviction of Sir Thomas More  with his accuser is relevant:

*William Roper:* So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!

*Sir Thomas More:* Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the
law to get after the Devil?

*William Roper:* Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!

*Sir Thomas More:* Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil
turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being
flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast,
Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man
to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that
would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own
safety's sake!

But, we can agree to disagree. This is a fork in the road, where
judgements and motives differ...