[governance] Julian Assange extradition: Ecuador 'willing to co-operate' with Britain

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 09:52:50 EDT 2012

Dear Roland,
Thank you for "the still, small voice of calm".
I read the article at the link and also followed several of the links
within that article, including the one to the article by Felicity Gerrity
discussing the legal definition of rape.
I am forcefully reminded of a quotation from Robert Bolt's play "A Man for
All Seasons"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060665/quotes

*William Roper <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0714874/>*: So, now you give the
Devil the benefit of law!
*Sir Thomas More <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006890/>*: Yes! What would
you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
*William Roper <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0714874/>*: Yes, I'd cut down
every law in England to do that!
*Sir Thomas More <http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006890/>*: Oh? And when the
last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you
hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with
laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down,
and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand
upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit
of law, for my own safety's sake!

The process of law is what should protect all of us. Of course,
demonstrably, it did not manage to protect Sir Thomas More, but he only
became vulnerable when the law and its processes were broken and abused.
And the debate certainly clarifies the relevance of this thread to
"Internet governance" because this is how the principles of internet
governance are being established. We are reminded of the need to keep
searching for the "hard" information underneath, rather than allow
ourselves to be distracted by the froth and bubbles on the surface.
Deirdre

On 22 August 2012 06:35, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com>wrote:

> In message <kFngzIdDI7MQFAfr at internetpolicyagency.com>, at 17:06:27 on
> Tue, 21 Aug 2012, Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> writes
> >>And how do you read the former Stockholm Chief District prosecutor
> >>Sven-Erik Alhem views,  who testified that the decision to extradite
> >>Assange is ?unreasonable and unprofessional, as well as unfair and
> >>disproportionate.?? As he could be questioned in the UK
> >
> >A different view from a different lawyer.
>
> A good article here, which explains the "where he can be interviewed"
> thing, plus the ongoing "zombie facts" issue which afflicts this case:
>
> <http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/david-allen-green/2012/08/legal-
> myths-about-assange-extradition>
> --
> Roland Perry

>      http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir William
Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979