[governance] Julian Assange extradition: Ecuador 'willing to co-operate' with Britain

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 03:50:46 EDT 2012

But let us be clear that the rich countries play fast and loose with
their own laws, according to a well referenced comment (seems consistent
with other reports) on the UK Guardian editorial lambasting Assange
(quoted below) and that Australia also seems to have no concerns
regarding Assange and his extradition
<http://www.smh.com.au/national/us-intends-to-chase-assange-cables-show-20120817-24e1l.html>
(and possible torture). So the double standards in the selective
application of Swedish law is something that also needs to be faced and
it is INSUFFICIENT to argue that Sweden is just following the rules.
Perhaps we need to widen the net say that it is not just America and its
poodle (as the Atlanticist humour goes) but Northern exceptionalism.
Perhaps IG could consider a coalition of civil society that firmly
rejects such exceptionalism, irrespective of one's position on how to
change CIR governance.

The problem I have on this list is how to deal with those who enter the
fray and then do not deal with issues that are raised in response. I am
sure that I have not been convincing in many cases, but it shows the
tenor of discussions on this list... those with critical views are
required to justify ad nauseum while the "mainstream IG" views can just
plod along with satisfaction that they are  hanging on the coat tails of
the mighty...

As this is a techie community perhaps I should explain why this sucks
(barring people being busy etc): because it indicates that one is
participating not in a genuine dialogue (people are interested in being
partisan or being right, not in an evolutionary manner that is apt to
change). The matters are not interrogated to the point where the
essentialia of the dispute are clarified so that lurkers can discern the
points in contest, forks in the road regarding reasoning/judgement are
identified, etc - and then make judgements based on their own
predilection - they just drop the issue. It is important to engage so
that this point is reached if we are civil society, otherwise we are
idiots (the classical definition - as I would like to those who have the
monopoly on namecalling to retain it as it bespokes for most not only
intent but substance as far as I discern). But then again tolerance of
double standards is something "we" just have to put up with (and still
be called out for non-participation even though it is exercise of a
democratic choice, fork in the road decision, etc). But if this is the
case, then let it not be said there is not grounds for saying that at an
ESSENTIAL level (many of those who engage against a proverbial "us") the
virtue of engagement on this list is based on "might is right" (which
explains namecalling and double standards as preponderant method of
engagement on CIR and "tangential" issues)... Now it is convenient to
think that the excellent dialogue between Conrad and Parminder showed up
Parminder as being unclear, non--technical,
not-knowing-what-he-is-talking-about, etc... on the other hand it can be
a reflection of the virtues of engagement in a community where we work
together even if we disagree on issues... I prefer the latter discourse
to the former....

Snip:

/"Firstly, in Sweden they revealed the identity of Assange against the
law (SFS: 2009:400 Law about Public Access to Information and Security,
Chapter 18 and 35). In Britain, Assange could sue for defamation simply
on those grounds. /

/It is also important that the case is addressed immediately so that a
person can be detained on a sufficient basis. Ms Ny, the prosecutor,
denied the opportunity to interview Mr. Assange after she took over the
case on 1 September 2010, even though he was in Sweden until the 27
September 2010, and had already been voluntarily interviewed over the
three lesser allegations./

/When Ms Ny revived the investigations on the 2 September and had
re-interviewed one of the complainants she did not act then to interview
Mr Assange, which would have been an imperative in such a case (Supreme
Court in Sweden NJA 2009 s. 447 I o II and B 2937-10). /

/Also another denial of justice was done to Mr Assange by the Swedish
police when they interviewed both complainants together allowing the
contamination of evidence./

/Ms Ny also used unreasonable and disproportionate powers by enacting a
European Arrest Warrant rather than arranging for questioning in Britain
using Mutual Legal Assistance, especially in a case where it is one
person’s word against another."/