[governance] Tangential (On Exceptionalism Wikileaks) America's vassal acts decisively and illegally

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Aug 20 09:14:06 EDT 2012

John,

Since you came in on a matter of principle, I am propelled to respond
for the same reason, on 'matter of principle'.

On Monday 20 August 2012 05:52 PM, John Curran wrote:

> I suspect I shall regret entering this discussion, but I must disagree with the
> assertion contained in above sentence, specifically:
>
>    "American Exceptionalism, which is implicit in the CHOICE of supporting the
>     Status Quo of current Internet Governance arrangements ON THIS LIST,"
>
> For some of us, the choice of supporting the current status quo in Internet Governance
> arrangements is predicated on lack of a clear alternative which may be assessed on its
> benefits and merits, and a need to keep the Internet operational in the meantime.  I likely
> would support the status quo in Internet Governance of critical Internet resources even
> if it were anchored in a contract with Cthulhu, or at least until such time as a proposal for
> change came along which provided clear benefits and had a reasonable chance of transition.

The alternative is clear; a group representing all countries does the
CIR oversight which is at presently done by the US. And the process
ensures that no one country or even a group of countries can capture
decision making involved in the role...... There is *no* doubt that
oversight by such a multi-country group, with the involved principles
and processes clearly defined, and the nature of oversight powers
narrowly restricted, is a much much better system that US unilaterally
exercising oversight, with no laid down law or principles other than its
own interests (which can *temporarily* be to not meddle with the root to
build a good reputation and a 'weak form of legitimacy' which seems to
hold a lot of attraction for some).

Apart from much better insurance against meddling with the CIRs based on
one country's interest, governance systems are also judged on their
inherent democratic-ness, a point you seem to give little importance to.

Beyond these points, I am unable to perform some kind of experiment to
show how the alternative is better than the status quo. You will realise
that such things are not possible in political realms.

Since, the original subject is 'US exceptionalism', I am unable to agree
with your claim that you would have been as comfortable it the
arrangement was with Cthulhu instead of the US..... Cthulhus of the
world are precisely the problem that status quoists have.... But if
indeed you are happy to have the 'same contract with' Cthulhu why would
you not agree to have the 'same contract' with a group of 'Cthulhus',
which further guarantees that no single Cthulhu can do some rogue stuff
?? This is a serious and direct proposal which you may want to respond to.

regards, parminder