[governance] new gTLDs

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Aug 20 08:20:20 EDT 2012

On Sunday 19 August 2012 10:02 AM, Milton L Mueller wrote:

> *From:*parminder [mailto:parminder at itforchange.net]
>
> Neither, the rhetoric of attacking positions that make you feel good,
> which positions you know I never hold; like, your claim that I am on
> the side of 'people who want to control and regulate the use of common
> word in order to ensure that they are used "properly" or "fairly""
>
> When, if I am saying anything at all, I am saying that common words
> should be allowed to be freely used by all, and not inappropriately
> pushed into  private domains, which is a form of 'control' over the
> use of those 'common words'.
>
> *//*
>
> */[Milton L Mueller] Nice rhetoric, but you are really ducking the
> argument. I honestly think you don’t understand the issue here, /*

:) Typical 'Milton start' of an argument, which I will ignore. But you
obviously think, I, US Congress's judicial committees, etc, no one
really understand it, other than you ....

> */so let me try to explain more carefully. A TLD string must be
> unique. Therefore it can only be assigned to one entity./*

Of course. This fact says nothing about the issue being discussed here -
to whom is it assigned and why, and what all needs to be assigned at
all, etc, of course in public interest, a term I think you have strongly
contested in terms of ICANN's working/ decision making processes.

> */That entity, the registrant of, let’s say, .WORD, decides what
> policies and practices determine what domains are registered under
> .WORD./*

We have jumped the issue of how someone comes to be the registry and the
registrant. While we will need to come back to that, isnt it true that
there are existing constraints on registries and registrants regarding
policies and practices under which domains are registered..... It is
common to place such required restrictions in all sectors where licenses
are issued for exclusive commercial use of public resources, and gltd
names are such public resources allowed to be commercially exploited
under licence, in a manner that serves public interest.

> *//*
>
> *//*
>
> */Tell me how you translate the idea that “common words (as domain
> names) should be allowed to be freely used by all” into a specific
> policy without violating the uniqueness and exclusivity constraint? /*

I have said this before. The main thing to do is; ensure that all gtlds
are openly available in the market for anyone to register second level
domains names under them. Secondarily, in some cases, it must also be
watched what names are allocated to who..... Now, arent community names
already a valid exclusion/ objection, and thus excluded from being
awarded to just anyone, as you seem to want to be the universal
rule..... One cant take .germany on a first come first served basis.
Isnt it... are you against such exclusions too...

Further there may be terms that are not specifically community names but
has certain association with certain, shall i say, groups.... like, I do
think gtld names like .cricket, .football etc may need to have certain
offline organisational correspondences.

Now,, .book, .beauty, etc may not be have specific communities around
them, but there are strong cultural associations associated with them,
that may, just may, need some consideration, even for them to be 'public
gtlds'.. I am not wholly against they being allowed as open public gltds
(as against private gtlds which the buyer can keep for exclusive private
use) but some of these cases may need some thinking. But certainly they
should not be allowed as private gtlds, as being allowed under the
current process....

> *//*
>
> */“Internet governance” is a generic term, and yet, <horrors> we at
> IGP have registered it under .org. And no, it cannot be freely used by
> all. It’s ours. It is a domain administered by IGP, just as ‘IT’ and
> ‘change’ are common words that your organization administers as its
> private domain. Our registration of that generic term Internet
> governance has not stopped dozens of other organizations having a
> significant profile in the area – Diplo, IGC, etc. /*

Milton, you are speaking like a techie, for whom it is either this, or
'only' that..... Socio-political thinking and practices do not come in
such binaries... And you as a socio-political theorist know it, but dont
mind employing such technical  binaries when they serve your 'minimalist
governance' agenda.... Your entire argument here rests on the assumption
that there is *no* practical difference between gltd names and second
level domain names, when everyone knows that there is a world of
difference between them. Yes, as being tied to a unitary technical
architecture (although Louis Pouzin disagrees with even that), we are
forced to make some choices, and allow some exclusivities, even when
they are not fair... like someone setting a new IT start up may like the
name IT for Change, and also the particular gtld .net but cant get it...

However, isnt  a multiplicity of gtlds (and more are proposed) precisely
there to solve such a problem, or at least meliorate it. But, and you
must answer this question, how does the issue of exclusivity implied for
instance in a private gtld of .book get addressed, their being no higher
level of domain name to provide competing field?

Unlike in mathematics, in politics, one small 'inconsistency' cannot be
projected to the whole system level, with the claim if we have 'that' we
as well may accept a fully screwed up system.... Politics is the art of
the possible, carefully putting together imperfect parts into the best
possible overall lot, or somewhere close about.

> *//*
>
> *//*
>
> */The only way to implement what you seem to be calling for is to set
> up a “word authority” that a) defines which words will be generic or
> common enough to be denied registration by any private actor; b)
> imposes on these generic terms a specific set of policies regarding
> how registrations are made./*

Well, in the other similar situation where exclusive uses of words is
implicated, dont we have such authorities, the rhetoric of 'word
authority' apart... and no one has objected, including yourself, as far
as i know. Try registering a trade mark and you will know what all gets,
to quote your word, 'denied registration by any private actor'. So you
think such denials are wrong. I think they are mostly in public interest.

Now, if you can show that such 'denials' by trademark (TM) authorities
are wrong, and unwarranted, which situation I consider as very close
parallel of allocating gtld names, I will withdraw my case against
private gtlds with generic names.

Making the parallel in the reverse direction, do you really think that
TM authorities should be allocating all kinds of trademarks to anyone
who applies 'on first come first served' basis (your proposition for
allocating all kinds of gtlds), and allow hoarders to develop a
secondary market in TM names (your preferred choice for all kinds of
scarce public resources like IPv4 addresses).... Looks like a whole new
paradigm of trademark regime... why not propose it to the world....

> */And that is what I mean when I say – with complete sincerity – that
> you will end up advocating the control and regulation of these common
> words. /*

You tell me, do the policies whereby TM authorities 'deny'
indiscriminate registration of all kinds of words as TMs, cause control
over use of common words, or prevent control over use of common words...
Same is true with denying gtld names that must be denied in public
interest. Do you think such denials by TM authorities constitute
violation of FoE (an argument which I know would jump up any moment)

> *//*
>
> *//*
>
> */Suppose your Word Authority dictates that .BOOK must follow the same
> open registration policy as now exists in .COM. Would that be “freely
> used by all?”/*

As in socio-political situations there are no absolute binaries, so,
yes, it will greatly increase such freedom.... we can pursue such
matters only in degrees. Anyone can register a second level domain under
.book, and it doesnt remain the exclusive preserve of Amazon, which is
what is going to be if the present process goes forward.

> */No, even then, “open to all” will simply mean that second level
> domains will be registered on a first-come, first-served basis..COM
> and .ORG are open to any registrant, but that simply means that if I
> register BOOK.COM or BOOK.ORG, I get to have this common word all to
> myself at the second level. So to get what you seem to want, you would
> have to impose an even more stringent collective governance regime on
> how names are allocated and assigned within .BOOK. /*

Same binary logic.... It is the right thing that when second level
domains are registered, which is what ordinary people and businesses do,
and do in millions, anyone can more or less take any name, on first come
first served basis..... Gltds are a very different ball game, although
you want to keep equating logic across these levels. 'Private gtlds' are
sought by a few, extremely big business, in fact near monopolies, whose
rights to various kinds of second level domain names are already
protected (also, additionally protected by ICANN IP related policies).
What is the case for some of them to have whole gtlds to themselves...
Whose freedom of expression are we really talking about here? For each
private gtld taken by them, and its use kept from others, they
substantially effect the rights of others to have domain names that they
will like to have.... Is this not a simple and obvious logic...

On what basis, Milton, are you promoting the cause of some big
businesses sitting over exclusive use of complete gtlds, using words
that are common heritage, even without any trademark claim to such words?

> *//*
>
> *//*
>
> */If that is not correct please explain, in specific, implementable
> terms, how you would do it differently./*

I have explained it above, in full implementable terms. But the first
thing is, ICANN has to come out of its schizophrenia whether it does
policy or not, it is a regulator or not.... It is just too confused
about it, which, I think, is a major problem with it... It should admit
that it makes political choices (policy) and enforces them (regulation).
This denial and schizophrenia is a serious problem for a governance
institutions, who is not able to decide what kind of governance work it
does.... If such a thing were with an individual, he would be undergoing
serious psychiatric treatment.

BTW, Milton, what have you to say about whether ICANN does policy and
regulation or not?

parminder