[governance] Negotiating Values in a Global Infrastructure

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 22:38:02 EDT 2012

Dear All,

Today is International Humanitarian day and we applaud the work that
humanitarians are doing all over the world to try and make it a better
place for our fellow human citizens. Some have lost their lives whilst
living their lives for others. There are some humanitarians on this list, I
am sure who are doing excellent work in touching people's lives. We salute
you!

I also wanted to highlight something brought out in another thread that
deserves a thread of it's own. Mawaki raised some really excellent points
which is something that we should ask ourselves. I have underlined and
emphasised what I consider to be a critical question. I hope that we can
also discuss how these values should or could be negotiated or otherwise.
As always please feel free to express your views...

[Mawaki Chango:]
Does anyone on this list still believe that policy -
including policy for technical infrastructure - does not involve
worldviews and values, which are diverse around the world, without
necessary the possibility to classified in a compelling manner which
ones are the best for everybody?

And *how do we negotiate the values* that will prevail for a global
infrastructure?

It seems to me those are relevant questions we have been wrestling with in
this space and
other IG-related forums for quite a while now.
--
Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala
P.O. Box 17862

Twitter: @SalanietaT