[governance] Should Internet based two-sided markers be regulated by countries or govts

Louis Pouzin (well) pouzin at well.com
Sun Aug 19 11:29:25 EDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro <
salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com> wrote:

> [snip]
>  How would taking over critical internet resources by force be any good
> for the developing world if there are competing DNS roots?
>
> Sala,

I don't remember any such inference from anyone, and you probably wanted to
mean something different.

Just to clarify realities. Multiple roots have been around for a while,
see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_DNS_root
.. plus a few more unknown to Wikipedia.
And last but not least the chinese root, used by 600 millions people. (Not
to be confused with .cn, which is a sort of proxy in the ICANN root.)

Whether multiple roots are competing or not is in the eye of the beholder.
Users have a choice, and presumably their preferences are based on some
characteristics not available in other roots.

Are multiple roots a nuisance to stability, security, and resilience of the
internet (an ICANN mantra) ?
If it were so, there should be some evidence of it.

Regards, Louis.