[governance] Julian Assange extradition: Ecuador 'willing to co-operate' with Britain

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 04:53:58 EDT 2012

[For Exceptionalists, not even the well established Vienna Convention on
Diplomatic Immunities is safe! Perhaps a sniper should just "take him
out" because a Presidential approved 'kill list" along with enhanced
interrogation techniques is legal right? So, on this list, while we do
need to engage, please take note that there are different perspectives
out there... which is NOT much to ask in civil society...

Parminder, ain't it funny how a "Banana Republic" shows up the home of
Parliamentary democracy... ]

  Julian Assange extradition: Ecuador 'willing to co-operate' with Britain

Pledge on protecting WikiLeaks founder from US could lead to deal, says
source as embassy complains of 'intimidating' police

  *
    Sam Jones <http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/samjones> and Rajeev
    Syal <http://www.guardian.co.uk/profile/rajeev-syal>
  * guardian.co.uk <http://www.guardian.co.uk>, Friday 17 August 2012
    19.28 BST

Julian Assange extradition
A Julian Assange supporter stakes her spot opposite the Ecuadorian
embassy where he claimed asylum to avoid extradiction to Sweden to face
rape allegations. Photograph: John Stillwell/PA

*Ecuador <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/ecuador> is still willing to
negotiate with the British government over the fate of Julian Assange
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/julian-assange>, despite the Foreign
Office's "threat" to arrest the WikiLeaks
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/wikileaks> founder inside its embassy
and the "intimidating" police presence in and around the building,
according to a senior Ecuadorean diplomatic source.*

The South American country's decision to grant political asylum to the
41-year-old Australian, who faces allegations of sexual assault in
Sweden <http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/sweden>, has provoked a bitter
political row between Quito and London.

The source complained that the UK government's written warning that it
could use the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987
<http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1987/46/section/1> to arrest
Assange inside the embassy had been accompanied by a large increase in
the number of police officers at the Knightsbridge building.

The police presence, it added, had risen from two or three to around 50,
with officers on the embassy's fire escape and at every window. This was
described as "an absolutely intimidating and unprecedented use of
police" designed to show the British government's desire to "go in with
a strong hand".

However, the source said that Quito had been encouraged by a phone call
made by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to the Ecuadorean ambassador
on Thursday. "The FCO called the ambassador yesterday to confirm that it
still had the will to talk and negotiate, so we'll keep talking," it added.

"The fact that they called the ambassador makes us think that the letter
with the threat of using domestic legislation to make an incursion into
the embassy and arrest somebody inside was a mistake -- as was the
intimidating increase in the number of police surrounding the embassy on
the same day the letter was delivered."

It stressed that Ecuador was willing to co-operate with the British and
Swedish authorities over the matter of Assange's extradition
<http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/extradition> to Sweden. "In the
negotiations with the FCO, Ecuador has been proposing that we would be
prepared to accept an undertaking from the UK and Sweden that, once
Julian Assange has faced the Swedish investigation, he will not be
extradited to a third country: specifically the US. That might be a way
out of it and Ecuador has always said it does not want to interfere with
the Swedish judicial process; we could facilitate it."

The source said the Ecuadorean government had been bolstered by the
support it had received since deciding to grant asylum to Assange,
adding: "We are moved by the overwhelming level of solidarity that
Ecuador now has in the [Latin American] region."

Asked how Assange was coping with the pressure of life in the small
embassy, where he has been living for 55 days, the source said: "He's
fine. He's not stressed out. Given the fact that he has been under
pressure for so long and that his legal fight has gone through so many
different levels, I think that for his safety he always had a last resort."

Scotland Yard declined to comment on the policing operation at the
embassy, while an FCO source said the letter sent to the Ecuadorean
authorities on Wednesday was not menacing and that the rights of the
country's officials would continue to be respected by the government.

"The letter was not a threat," said the source. "There had already been
many meetings with the Ecuador government. It was just that it was quite
clear that they were close to making a decision and we wanted them to
know the law. It was merely signposting the fact."

The foreign secretary, William Hague, was informed about diplomatic
developments on the Assange case, although a spokeswoman declined to
divulge further details, saying: "We are not providing a running
commentary."

At a press conference on Wednesday, Ecuador's foreign minister, Ricardo
Patiño, released details of the contentious letter, which he said was
delivered through a British embassy official in Quito.

The letter said: "You need to be aware that there is a legal base in the
UK, the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987, that would allow us
to take actions in order to arrest Mr Assange in the current premises of
the embassy." It added: "We need to reiterate that we consider the
continued use of the diplomatic premises in this way incompatible with
the Vienna convention and unsustainable and we have made clear the
serious implications that this has for our diplomatic relations."

Patiño said that Ecuador rejected the "explicit threat" made in the
letter, adding: "This is unbecoming of a democratic, civilised and
law-abiding state. If this conduct persists, Ecuador will take
appropriate responses in accordance with international law. If the
measures announced in the British official communication materialise
they will be interpreted by Ecuador as a hostile and intolerable act and
also as an attack on our sovereignty, which would require us to respond
with greater diplomatic force."

Hague has denied suggestions that the FCO was threatening "to storm an
embassy", saying: "We are talking about an act of parliament in this
country which stresses that it must be used in full conformity with
international law."

He has also said that Assange will not be allowed safe passage out of
the UK despite the asylum decision, and that diplomatic immunity should
not be used to harbour alleged criminals.

It is unclear whether Assange will address his supporters at the embassy
on Sunday, as has been reported. He has described the granting of
political asylum by Ecuador as a "significant and historic victory".