[governance] Tangential (On Exceptionalism Wikileaks) America's vassal acts decisively and illegally

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 03:41:31 EDT 2012

*America's vassal acts decisively and illegally*

Craig Murray is an author, broadcaster and human rights activist. He was
British Ambassador to Uzbekistan from August 2002 to October 2004 and
Rector of the University of Dundee from 2007 to 2010.

http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2012/08/americas-vassal-acts-decisively-and-illegally/

I returned to the UK today to be astonished by private confirmation from
within the FCO that the UK government has indeed decided -- after
immense pressure from the Obama administration -- to enter the
Ecuadorean Embassy and seize Julian Assange.

This will be, beyond any argument, a blatant breach of the Vienna
Convention of 1961, to which the UK is one of the original parties and
which encodes the centuries -- arguably millennia -- of practice which
have enabled diplomatic relations to function. The Vienna Convention is
the most subscribed single international treaty in the world.

The provisions of the Vienna Convention on the status of diplomatic
premises are expressed in deliberately absolute terms. There is no
modification or qualification elsewhere in the treaty.

Article 22

1.The premises of the mission shall be inviolable. The agents of the
receiving State may not enter them, except with the consent of the head
of the mission.
2.The receiving State is under a special duty to take all appropriate
steps to protect the premises of the mission against any intrusion or
damage and to prevent any disturbance of the peace of the mission or
impairment of its dignity.
3.The premises of the mission, their furnishings and other property
thereon and the means of transport of the mission shall be immune from
search, requisition, attachment or execution.

Not even the Chinese government tried to enter the US Embassy to arrest
the Chinese dissident Chen Guangchen. Even during the decades of the
Cold War, defectors or dissidents were never seized from each other's
embassies. Murder in Samarkand relates in detail my attempts in the
British Embassy to help Uzbek dissidents. This terrible breach of
international law will result in British Embassies being subject to
raids and harassment worldwide.

The government's calculation is that, unlike Ecuador, Britain is a
strong enough power to deter such intrusions. This is yet another
symptom of the "might is right" principle in international relations, in
the era of the neo-conservative abandonment of the idea of the rule of
international law.

The British Government bases its argument on domestic British
legislation. But the domestic legislation of a country cannot counter
its obligations in international law, unless it chooses to withdraw from
them. If the government does not wish to follow the obligations imposed
on it by the Vienna Convention, it has the right to resile from it --
which would leave British diplomats with no protection worldwide.

I hope to have more information soon on the threats used by the US
administration. William Hague had been supporting the move against the
concerted advice of his own officials; Ken Clarke has been opposing the
move against the advice of his. I gather the decision to act has been
taken in Number 10.

There appears to have been no input of any kind from the Liberal
Democrats. That opens a wider question -- there appears to be no
"liberal" impact now in any question of coalition policy. It is amazing
how government salaries and privileges and ministerial limousines are
worth far more than any belief to these people. I cannot now conceive
how I was a member of that party for over thirty years, deluded into a
genuine belief that they had principles.

***

Published on The Nation (http://www.thenation.com)

The Geopolitics of Asylum

Tom Hayden | August 16, 2012

The British a "huge mistake" in threatening to extract Julian Assange
from Ecuador's London embassy after the Latin American country granted
political asylum to the WikiLeaks foundaer yesterday, says international
human rights lawyer Michael Ratner. "They overstepped, looked like
bullies, and made it into a big-power versus small-power conflict," said
Ratner, president of the Center for Constitutional Rights, in an
interview with The Nation today. Ratner is a consultant to Assange's
legal team and recently spent a week in Ecuador for discussions of the case.

The diplomatic standoff will have to be settled through negotiations or
by the International Court of Justice at The Hague, Ratner said. "In my
memory, no state has ever invaded another country's embassy to seize
someone who has been granted asylum," he said, adding that there would
be no logic in returning an individual to a power seeking to charge him
for political reasons.

Since Assange entered the Ecuadorian embassy seven weeks ago, Ecuadorian
diplomats have sought the assurance through private talks with the
British and Swedes that Assange will be protected from extradition to
the United States, where he could face charges under the US Espionage
Act. Such guarantees were refused, according to Ecuador's foreign
minister, Ricardo Patiño, who said in Quito that the British made an
"explicit threat" to "assault our embassy" to take Assange. "We are not
a British colony," Patiño added.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said yesterday that his
government will not permit safe passage for Assange, setting the stage
for what may be a prolonged showdown.

The United States has been silent on whether it plans to indict Assange
and ultimately seek his extradition. Important lawmakers, like Senator
Diane Feinstein, a chair of the Senate Intelligence Committee, have
called for Assange's indictment in recent weeks. But faced with strong
objections from civil liberties and human rights advocates, the White
House may prefer to avoid direct confrontation, leaving Assange
entangled in disputes with the UK and Sweden over embarrassing charges
of sexual misconduct in Sweden.

Any policy of isolating Assange may have failed now, as the conflict
becomes one in which Ecuador---and a newly independent Latin
America---stand off against the US and UK. Ecuador's president Rafael
Correa represents the wave of new nationalist leaders on the continent
who have challenged the traditional US dominance over trade, security
and regional decision-making. Correa joined the Venezuelan-founded
Bolivarian Alternative for the Americas in June 2009, and closed the US
military base in Ecuador in September 2009. His government fined Chevron
for $8.6 billion for damages to the Amazon rainforest, in a case which
Correa called "the most important in the history of the country." He
survived a coup attempt in 2010.

It is very unlikely that Correa would make his asylum decision without
consulting other governments in Latin America. An aggressive reaction by
the British, carrying echoes of the colonial past, is likely to solidify
Latin American ranks behind Quito, making Assange another irritant in
relations with the United States.

Earlier this year, many Central and Latin American leaders rebuked the
Obama administration for its drug war policies and vowed not to
participate in another Organization of American States meeting that
excluded Cuba. Shortly after, President Obama acted to remove his Latin
American policy chief, Dan Restrepo, according to a source with close
ties to the Obama administration. Now the Assange affair threatens more
turmoil between the United States and the region.

***

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2012/08/196589.htm

Victoria Nuland

Spokesperson

Daily Press Briefing

Washington, DC

August 16, 2012

*TRANSCRIPT:*

*12:44 p.m. EDT*

*MS. NULAND:*Happy Thursday, everybody. Let's start with whatever's on
your minds.

*Q*: Do you have any thoughts at all on the decision by Ecuador to grant
diplomatic asylum to Mr. Assange?

*MS. NULAND:*This is an issue between the Ecuadorans, the Brits, the
Swedes. I don't have anything particular to add.

*Q*: You don't have any interest at all in this case other than as of a
completely neutral, independent observer of it?

*MS. NULAND:*Well, certainly with regard to this particular issue, it is
an issue among the countries involved and we're not planning to
interject ourselves.

*Q*: Have you not interjected yourself at all?

*MS. NULAND:*Not with regard to the issue of his current location or
where he may end up going, no.

*Q*: Well, there has been some suggestion that the U.S. is pushing the
Brits to go into the Ecuadorian embassy and remove him.

*MS. NULAND:*I have no information to indicate that there is any truth
to that at all.

*Q*: Do -- and the Brits -- Former Secretary Hague said that the Brits
do not recognize diplomatic asylum. I'm wondering if the United States
recognizes diplomatic asylum, given that it is a signatory to this 1954
OAS treaty which grants -- or which recognizes diplomatic asylum, but
only, presumably, within the membership of the OAS. But more broadly,
does the U.S. recognize diplomatic asylum as a legal thing under
international law?

*MS. NULAND:*Well, if you're asking for -- me for a global legal answer
to the question, I'll have to take it and consult 4,000 lawyers.

*Q*: Contrasting it with political asylum. This is different, diplomatic
asylum.

*MS. NULAND:*With regard to the decision that the Brits are making or
the statement that they made, our understanding was that they were
leaning on British law in the assertions that they made with regard to
future plans, not on international law. But if you're asking me to check
what our legal position is on this term of art, I'll have to take it,
Matt, and get back to you.

*Q*: Yeah, just whether you do recognize it outside of the confines of
the -- of the OAS and those signatories.

And then when you said that you don't have any information to suggest
that you have weighed in with the Brits about whether to have Mr.
Assange removed from the embassy, does that mean that there hasn't been
any, or just that you're not aware of it?

*MS. NULAND:*My information is that we have not involved ourselves in
this. If that is not correct, we'll get back to you.

[...]

*Q*: All right. And then just back to the Assange thing, the reason that
the Ecuadorians gave -- have given him asylum is because they say that
-- they agree with his claim that he would be -- could face persecution
-- government persecution if for any reason he was to come to the United
States under whatever circumstances. Do you -- do you find that that's a
credible argument? Does anyone face unwarranted or illegal government
persecution in the United States?

*MS. NULAND:*No.

*Q*: No?

*MS. NULAND:*No.

*Q*: And so you think that the grounds that -- in this specific case,
the grounds for him receiving asylum from any country -- or any country
guaranteeing asylum to anyone on the basis that if they happen to show
up in the United States they might be subject to government persecution,
you don't view that as --

*MS. NULAND:*I'm not -- I'm not going to comment on the Ecuadoran
thought process here. If you're asking me whether there was any
intention to persecute rather than prosecute, the answer is no.

*Q*: OK.

*MS. NULAND:*OK?

*Q*: Well -- wait, hold on a second -- so you're saying that he would
face prosecution?

*MS. NULAND:*Again, I'm not -- we were in a situation where he was not
headed to the United States. He was headed elsewhere. So I'm not going
to get into all of the legal ins and outs about what may or may not have
been in his future before he chose to take refuge in the Ecuadoran mission.

But with regard to the charge that the U.S. was intent on persecuting
him, I reject that completely.

*Q*: OK, fair enough. But I mean, unfortunately, this is -- this case
does rest entirely on legal niceties. Pretty much all of it is on the
legal niceties, maybe not entirely. So are you -- when you said that the
intention was to prosecute, not persecute, are you saying that he does
face prosecution in the United States?

*MS. NULAND:*Again, I don't -- that was not the course of action that we
were all on. But let me get back to you on -- there was -- I don't think
that when he decided to take refuge, that was where he was headed,
right? Obviously, we have --

*Q*: No, I mean, he was headed to Sweden.

*MS. NULAND:*Right, but obviously, we have our own legal case. I'm going
to send you Justice on what the exact status of that was, OK?

*Q*: OK, there is -- so you're saying that there is a legal case against
him.

*MS. NULAND:*I'm saying that the Justice Department was very much
involved with broken U.S. law, et cetera. But I don't have any specifics
here on what their intention would have been vis-a-vis him. So I'm not
going to wade into it any deeper than I already have, which was too far,
all right?

*Q*: (Chuckles.) OK, well, wait, wait, I just have one more, and it
doesn't involve the -- it involves the whole inviability (sic) of
embassies and that kind of thing.

*MS. NULAND:*Right.

*Q*: You said that -- at the beginning that you have not involved
yourselves at all. But surely if there -- if you were aware that a
country was going to raid or enter a diplomatic compound of any country,
of any other country, you would find that to be unacceptable, correct?

*MS. NULAND:*As I said --

*Q*: I mean, if the Chinese had gone in after -- into the embassy in
Beijing to pull out the -- your -- the blind lawyer, you would have
objected to that, correct?

*MS. NULAND:*As I said at the beginning, the -- our British allies have
cited British law with regard to the statements they've made about
potential future action. I'm not in a position here to evaluate British
law, international -- as compared to international law.

So I can't -- if you're asking me to wade into the question of whether
they have the right to do what they're proposing to do or may do under
British law, I'm going to send you to them.

*Q*: Right, but there's -- but it goes beyond British law. I mean, there
is international law here too, and presumably the United State would
oppose or would condemn or at least express concerns about any
government entering or violating the sovereignty of a diplomatic
compound anywhere in the world, no?

*MS. NULAND:*Again, I can't speak to what it is that they are standing
on vis-a-vis Vienna Convention or anything else. I also can't speak to
what the status of the particular building that he happens to be in at
the moment is. So I'm going to send you to the Brits on all of that. You
know where we are on the Vienna Convention in general, and that is
unchanged. OK?

*Q*: OK. Well, when the Iranians stormed the embassy in Teheran, back in
1979, presumably you thought that was a bad thing, right?

*MS. NULAND:*That was a Vienna-Convention-covered facility and a
Vienna-Convention-covered moment. I cannot speak to any of the rest of
this on British soil. I'm going to send you to Brits. OK?

*Q*: A very quick follow-up. You said there is a case against him by the
Justice Department. Does that include --

*MS. NULAND:*I did not say that. I said that the Justice Department is
working on the entire WikiLeaks issue. So I can't -- I can't speak to
what Justice may or may not have. I'm going to send you to Justice.

*Q*: Is there a U.S. case against him?

*MS. NULAND:*I'm going to send you to Justice, because I really don't
have the details. OK? Thanks, guys.

(The briefing was concluded at 1:19 p.m.)

*DPB #146*