[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 20:24:42 EDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 1:19 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net>wrote:

>  David

<snip>

>  Therefore an
>
> (1) Internet Oversight Board (or as per Carlos's proposal a International
> Internet Coordination and Evaluation Council ) takes over the oversight
> role over the CIR management system

What about those of us who think that NO oversight is needed?

> (2) A UN Committee on Internet Related Policies takes up non CIR general
> public policies, on the same pattern as OECD's CICCP, whereby while today
> OECD makes general Internet related policies that by default get applied to
> the whole world, we have a similar committee but with all countries
> represented doing EXACTLY the same work.... (I am unable to see how one can
> object to this).

What about those of us who do not want the OECD (or any intergovernmental
body) to be making Internet policy?

> This is just a template to begun a serious discussion. As long as, as you
> say, no one argues 'that things should remain the same", we can together
> chart a path to the new system. That is my change model.

We have a "new system", it is significantly different than what we had just
a few years ago.  The way of doing things is changing by evolution, not
revolution.  I would urge you to re-read Bill's long post in this thread
with an open mind.  There are significant challenges to be faced in doing
(1).

--
Cheers,

McTim