[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Thu Aug 9 07:18:47 EDT 2012

On Aug 9, 2012, at 1:23 PM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> However, dont you see that it is becoming politically unsustainable to not do anything about the issue of the control of the root. Should we inform the African and the Indian, minister, and I am sure, numerous other ministers, that civil society had a long discussion on their concerns regarding unequitous distribution of root operators, and came to the conclusion that other than the US and a few western countries we are not able to trust anyone - even if it were a regional system like an RIR - with root operations, even when root server operation in a non monopoly multi point redundancy operation.

The best thing about Internet is that we don't have to tell them anything.

The Internet, whether someone likes it or not, is in fact an network of private networks. You can regulate it all the way you desire, but the ultimate decisions how it will be run will be taken by those private parties.

>From this it follows, directly, that if the Indian (whatever) minister wants something to change with how Internet's DNS root is run, they should convince (all) those private parties to run it differently.
While you may thing it all depends on the US government and those 13 organisations, the reality is that the involved parties are way, way more. Those 13 are the tip of the (Internet) iceberg.

This Internet thing was designed (in every aspect) to survive nuclear war. It will surely survive a minister, or two, or a dozen governments, or all of them at once.

Daniel

PS: I believe, like apparently others, that this whole discussion is going nowhere. It has already fulfilled it's useful purpose to spread some knowledge on how and why the DNS root runs this way.

PPS: By the way, I have informed a number of Bulgarian ministries and what not, of the above. They all had "politically unsustainable" situations at hand. So what happened? Governments changed, new ministries came, they had to be educated too.. such is life.