[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Aug 7 02:23:04 EDT 2012

David,

On Sunday 05 August 2012 10:40 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> Snip)
>
>> So if indeed it is not, why not breach it and make people of the
>> world happy.
>
> Even if it were possible, I sincerely doubt everyone having their own
> root server would make the people of the world happy.

A good issue, and in the present circumstances, the right issue, to
explore.

I understand that you and the technical community agree that, in the
first instance, the root servers were distributed among different
agencies primarily to avoid capture. Right!

To make sure we agree on this, I quote you from your email below

"The diversity of architecture and lack of centralized control is seen
as a feature as it reduces the opportunities for "capture"." (David)

And I quote an ISOC document, as something that could represent the
viewpoint of technical community in general.

    "......the root name servers that publish this zone file are
    organised in a distributed and diverse fashion. No single entity has
    authority or control over the operation of these servers. This
    diversity and the distributed authority has been a key element of
    the reliability of the root name service. Therefore this diversity
    should be maintained in the face of increasing pressure for more
    hierarchical "Internet Governance". http://www.isoc.org/briefings/019/

Again, what is being suggested is that distribution of 'power' over
different entities running root servers helps avoid 'capture'. Very
well! Now we should see that this is clearly political territory, talk
of capture and distribution of power. Somebody rightly decided that if
root server operations are distributed among different agencies and not
subject to any 'single entity having authority or control over the
operation of these servers' it will be good for the Internet, users etc.
I understand that we agree up to this point.

Now, it is obvious that the decision to do the above was a political
decision, including the choice of which all agencies should operation of
root servers be distributed over. It was basically a US decision - take
or give something from a compact of  US gov - other US entities. Now a
few years down the line, the Internet globally being what it is, some
people think that this political decision is not quite adequate to the
current circumstances, and want a 'political' review of it.

They are not satisfied that the 'capture' possibility has been
adequately accounted for. (Let us not lose sight of the fact that the
idea and possiblity of 'capture' is not an invention of their
conspiratorial minds. As above it is a prior issue central to current
design of root server ownership.)

The logic of 'no single entity having the authority or control over
operation of root server' does not stand close geo-political scrutiny,
esp in today's world. 9 of the 12 root server operators are in the US
and directly and full subject to US executive's emergency authority
(believe me, they very surely are, and if we want to argue this point,
lets argue it separately, so that we dont dilute the chain of logic
here). Three root servers are outside in US friendly OECD countries,
that routinely cooperate with the US closely in all kinds of strategic,
including military and criminal, matters. Hounding of CEO of megauploads
and wikileaks come easily to mind as instances of close cooperation in
cross border Internet manners of the kind that are not so palatable to
the rest of the world. Through OECD and other plurilateral pacts these
countires are configuring an ever closer relationship vis a vis the
global Internet. On global military and security matters, and the term
'capture' relates to exceptional but plausible global scenarios, these
countries always coordinate closely, and largely follow US diktats, esp
on real 'global' emergencies.

Now, would you fault someone if he were to reason that the present
strategy against 'capture' vis a vis the operation or the root/ DNS
system of the Internet, while laudable in its initial intentions, is not
quite  adequate, and is not in keeping with times. A simple and direct
political formulation. What do you say to it? This is crucial point for
us to cross, and if need be, argue and come to some common conclusion
on. This requires clear political views, not technical, and I think we
will agree to this fact.

One can suggest that given the current situation of the Internet, the
very same laudable intention of avoiding capture that informed the
present root server system, when it was instituted,  requires us to
change the system. Is it really all that illegitimate a political
demand. What is your response to this question? No, this is not an
aside. This is the only question that the Indian and African minister
really brought to the table, something which triggered and underlies the
present discussion. One side cant conveniently turn the discussion
around to what it wants to discuss, and calling the 'allocation of root
servers' issue as a red herring as you do in your email. Such allocation
and possible reallocation is 'the' issue we want to discuss. Of course
there are other issues that you may want to bring to the table, and sure
enough, we should discuss them too. But we cant just unilaterally
pooh-pooh issues that are considered very important by others.
especially when, as shown above, it take the very logic of 'capture'
that you propose to its logical political consideration.

This brings us to the key, in fact, the original question, rescued from
under the labyrinth of all kinds of obfuscations; why cant we either
increase the number of root servers (operators) and allocate new ones to
new agencies in a manner that is globally better distributed and more
just or, if that is not possible, reallocate the existing root servers
from too many agencies in a single country to those in others, esp in
the South.

This will require an examination of the following questions

(1) whether the number 13 can be breached, and more root server
operators created, and/or
(2) the existing root server operations can be reallocated.

I believe both options are possible (but surely, at least one is
possible which serves as well), but we can discuss the technical and
political issues involved.

This is the political demand from the South which cannot just be pooh
poohed by describing its ministers as ill-informed or stupid. We seek
full engagement of the civil society and other actors with this
political demand.

parminder