[governance] ICANN to get $8 Million More from New .com Deal

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Mon Aug 6 08:39:55 EDT 2012

Fair questions, Parminder.

.Com and Verisign are “special” in that .com still operates under an ancient (199x) “Cooperative Agreement” that started with the National Science Foundation and then moved to the Commerce Department in 1997. For a list of amendments to that contract (it is looooong), see this:
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/legacy/ntiahome/domainname/nsi.htm In that technical-legal minutiae you will find whatever “review” capabilities exist.

Basically the battle over the establishment of ICANN was not really complete until Verisign, which has de facto operational control of the root zone and, with its control of .com, accounted for over half of the domain name market back then, accepted ICANN and agreed to play ball with it. Litigation between Versign and ICANN over the terms of the .com agreement was settled in 2005, I think (people closer to this issue such as Bret Fausett will correct me if I am off) and because of the competition policy/monopoly implications of the settlement, and the existence of the cooperative agreement, the USG had the authority to approve it.

This 2006 press release from the US DoC explains in a nutshell what happened with that initial settlement and USG review:
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/legacy/ntiahome/press/2006/icanncom_113006.htm

Other than things pertaining to the specific terms of the IANA contract, I cannot think of any other areas where ICANN decisions would be subject to USG review.

As an advocate of government regulation of big business, however, I am sure you are pleased to learn that the US government is looking out for you when it comes to Verisign. ;-)