[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 23:46:50 EDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 9:11 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:

> On Sunday 05 August 2012 06:10 PM, parminder wrote:
>
> (snip)
>

> Also better clarity will be useful about the process of setting up anycast
> mirrors. Are they to seek a relationship with a specific root server or can
> they be set up just like that....
>

> I read from
> http://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/dns-wg/2003-September/001075.html
> that anycast root mirrors can be under very tight control of the root server
> operator,

yes, this is how it should be.

If you were a root-op, and it was your responsibility to ensure that
all queries to your
nameservers were given consistent answers, then you would not allow
anyone else to admin those nameservers.

 so much so that ' administrative access will not be available' to
> the anycast operator to his own anycast server. Well!! This is a pretty
> centralised control, not at all the picture one got from all the technically
> well informed insiders who seem to suggest on this list that everything is
> open, uncontrolled and hunky-dory and kind of anyone can set up and operate
> root servers.

I think DRC has answered all of your other points, but I would like to
clarify one point.  The org I work for now (ISC) spends a lot of money
(although probably less than some other rootops) on running
rootservices, and so folk who would like "F" servers are asked to
pitch in a bit to help defray costs.

If you can come up with an annual 6 figure amount in USD to operate a
root server network, perhaps you could convince the DoD or NASA or
UofMd to relinquish theirs.  If you really want one that is, but I
suspect you would rather complain about the status quo more than
anything.

What would be a a geographically "equitable manner" in which to
distribute 13 rootserver functions across the globe in your opinion?

>Was the African minister really so wrong, or even the Indian
> minister?

deeply wrong

> Is this the kind of informing the un-informed one seeks to do, that has been
> much spoken of  here. The un-informed are rightly cautious of 'being
> informed', i'd say.

as others have pointed out, it's not the informing, but the listening
that is the problem in this thread!

--
Cheers,

McTim