[governance] India's communications minister - root server misunderstanding (still...)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Aug 5 12:19:22 EDT 2012

In message <501E70E8.90609 at itforchange.net>, at 18:41:04 on Sun, 5 Aug
2012, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes

>I read from
>http://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/dns-wg/2003-September/001075.html
>that anycast root mirrors can be under very tight control of the root
>server operator, so much so that ' administrative access will not be
>available' to the anycast operator to his own anycast server. Well!!
>This is a pretty centralised control, not at all the picture one got
>from all the technically well informed insiders who seem to suggest on
>this list that everything is open, uncontrolled and hunky-dory and kind
>of anyone can set up and operate root servers.

Anyone can host such a server (and the local community gets the main
benefit); but I don't think there's ever been a suggestion they would
control it (other than being able to switch it off).

The control is decentralised because there are several independent
operators amongst the 13. We've seen how the "13" is limited because of
a historical accident when the system was originally designed, but how
many do you think would make things "better"?

It's the same order of magnitude as the number of operators of gTLDs
(until mid 2013, anyway).

Are there many ccTLDs with more than one operator for its name servers
(most have more than one hosted mirror, that doesn't count for this
purpose). It's one thing to have lots of instances of root name servers
around the world, but how many instances of (eg) .org or .com servers
are there outside Europe/USA - they are just as vital, if anything more
vital, to resolving DNS queries as the root servers.

>Was the African minister really so wrong, or even the Indian minister?

Each were wrong, but in different ways.
--
Roland Perry